Beaufort County Democratic Party
WHO WE ARE:
The Beaufort County Democratic Party (BCDP) is the political party for anyone who identifies as a Democrat or caucuses with the Democratic Party in the county. Since individuals in South Carolina do not register by a political party, there is no official membership in any political party.
In Beaufort County, many of the Democratic activities are hosted by one of three clubs (South of the Broad - Hilton Head Island/Bluffton, Sun City, and North of the Broad) including monthly meetings, forums, training sessions, and special events. There is a nominal fee to join one of the Democratic Clubs. In addition, there is a Young Democrats Chapter affiliated with the County Party.
The mission of the BCDP is to elect Democrats to local, county, state, and federal office; to raise funds to support those candidates, and to further the platform of the Democratic Party in our local community. The BCDP hosts social events, educational forums, trainings, fundraisers, and conducts a biannual county convention.
The BCDP is governed by an Executive Committee comprised of elected and appointed officers and precinct captains/coordinators from each of Beaufort County’s 88 precincts. The BCDP Executive Committee meets the first Tuesday of every month at the Beaufort Jasper Hampton Comprehensive Health Services Building Community Room in Okatie, S.C. with a 5:30 PM social hour and 6:00 – 8:00 PM meeting.
Officers of the Executive Committee of the Beaufort County Democratic Party are elected by the Delegates of the Beaufort County Democratic Convention held in February of the odd years. In addition, the Presidents of the three County Democratic Clubs are voting members of the Executive Committee. Current 2017-2019 Officers are:
Chair: Mayra Rivera-Vazquez (Bluffton)
First Vice-Chair: William Walker (Hilton Head)
Second Vice-Chair: Cecily McMillian (St. Helena)
Third Vice-Chair: Ryan Martz (Bluffton)
Secretary: Alison Davidow (Beaufort)
Treasurer: Chris deVries (Hilton Head)
Executive Committeeman: John Glover (St. Helena)
Executive Committeewoman: Pamela Brandon (Beaufort)
Executive Committeeman (Alternate): (Edward Mouton)
Executive Committeewoman (Alternate): Beth Young (Beaufort)
Finance Chair: Peter Post (Dataw Island)
North of the Club President: John Glover (St. Helena)
South of the Broad Club President: William (Bill) Walker (Hilton Head)
Sun City Club President: Robert Donaldson (Sun City)
Voter Protection Officer: Jimmy Mackey
In addition, the BCDP Executive Committee appoints Standing Committees, as needed. In 2017, the Executive Committee agreed to establish the following Committees:
Bylaws Committee: Flo Rosse
Communications and Media Relations Committee: Cecily McMillian
Fundraising Committee: Peter Post
Nominations Committee: TBD
The Beaufort County Democratic Party Executive Team - Summer 2019. Pictures from left to right: John Glover, Beth Young, Steve Capps. Mayra Rivera-Vazquez, Alison Davidow, Chris deVries, Ryan Martz, and Caroly Wiley.
BCDP 2019-2020 Strategic Plan
Strategy: Implement A Master Recruiting Plan
1. Create a spreadsheet listing all open positions: county, state, and Federal
2. Identify and recruit potential candidates
3. Provide local networking opportunities for candidates
4. Provide candidate training
5. Promote and provide financial funding for candidates
Strategy: Develop a Voter Turnout Plan
1. Use Votebuilder to contact current Democratic voters.
2. Provide year-round voter registration opportunities.
3. Educate voters on Early Absentee Voting
4. Increase focus on Latino and African American communities by holding neighborhood meetings
5. Provide transportation to polls before and on Election Day
Strategy: Use Local Issues to Highlight BCDP's Support of Our Community's Values
1. Create a list of local issues in coordination with the Communications Committee.
2. Implement a comprehensive social media outreach program.
3. Develop a community public relations outreach plan (local media, public forums).
4. Recruit and cultivate an in-house digital production team.
Strategy: Increase funding sources and expand volunteer support
1. Audit existing financial resources
2. Develop an Annual Budget and implement a fundraising plan to meet reuqirements.
3. Create a volunteer recruitment plan to train and empower volunteers.
4. Use BCDP meetings to engage and educate potential volunteers.
5. Coordinate with Clubs and Precinct Leaders (Coordinators) to build BCDP membership.